Hongbiao (Bill) YU, PhD (Consultant)
Bill Yu has over ten years of experience in patent law, primarily focusing on patent prosecution and counseling. He drafts and prosecutes patent applications in a wide range of technologies across mechanical art and electrical art.
Examples of the technologies in which Bill has expertise include light-emitting diode (LED) manufacturing apparatus and processes, telecommunications and networks (e.g., LTE, 4G, 5G New Radio), computer software (e.g., desktop and mobile applications, business methods), automotive (conventional cars, electrical cars, hybrid cars), heavy machinery (e.g., construction vehicles), optical imaging apparatus (e.g., scanners, printers, and cameras), information processing systems (e.g., encryption, decryption), medical and surgical devices (e.g., medical robotics, catheters, operational beds, ultrasonic scalpels), medical diagnostic and detection systems (e.g., patient health monitoring methods and apps), clean energy and renewables (e.g., solar cell, fuel cell, wind power), aerospace and aviation (e.g., airships), robotics (e.g., automated guided vehicle (AGV), drones), consumer products (e.g., vending machines, refrigerators, cosmetic product packaging, sports and fitness equipment), railroad technology, acoustics (e.g., speakers).
Dr. Yu manages patent portfolios for clients ranging from start-ups to large corporations. He counsels clients on strategic planning of patent landscape and assists clients with patent portfolio development, especially for high-tech start-ups. He provides opinions on patentability, invalidity, non-infringement, and freedom-to-operate. Dr. Yu also has experience with post grant procedures, such as ex parte reexamination and inter partes review (IPR).
While earning his Ph.D. degree in mechanical engineering at Penn State University, Dr. Yu worked as a research assistant in the Structural Dynamics and Controls Laboratory at the Center of Acoustics and Vibration. There he developed novel piezoelectric transducer networks coupled with electrical circuitry for controlling vibrations of turbine blades. During his undergraduate studies in China, Dr. Yu studied theories in mechanics, materials, and controls.
Before joining McGurk Group, Bill worked at several IP boutique firms in Washington D.C. area.
University of Maryland School of Law, J.D., 2013
Pennsylvania State University, Mechanical Engineering, Ph.D., 2007
Peking University, Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, B.S., 2001
U.S. Court of Appeals, Veterans Claims
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Coauthor. “Patent Owner Cannot Recover Lost Profits Based on Lost Sales of Products Not Functionally Related to Patented Product, Lost Royalty Payments, or Lost Payments from Inter-Company Transfer-Pricing Agreements,” LES Insights, May 12, 2015.
- Coauthor. “Winning Patent Cases Starts with the Drafting of Top-Quality Patent Applications,” Managing Intellectual Property Chinese Edition, Oct. 2012.
- First author. “Vibration Suppression of Mistuned Coupled-Blade-Disk System Using Piezoelectric Circuitry Network,” Journal of Vibration and Acoustics, 2008.
- First author. “Piezoelectric Networks for Vibration Suppression of Mistuned Bladed Disks,” Journal of Vibration and Acoustics, 2007.
- First author. “Piezoelectric Networking with Enhanced Electromechanical Coupling for Vibration Delocalization of Mistuned Periodic
Structures—Theory and Experiment,” Journal of Sound and Vibration, 2006.